Monday, March 1, 2010

Creamy Delicious Breakfast


So clearly I didn't make everything over the weekend that I had planned.  Actually, I didn't make anything that I had planned!  But I did make some delicious breakfast.  It's kind of a cross between oatmeal and rice pudding.  I made a double batch this time, and I was glad I did - it served as breakfast for both yesterday and today.  Mine took forever to cook - I blame it on my stove.  (I tend to blame things on my oven/stove not working.  They probably deserve it most of the time.)  So you should definitely try this for breakfast.  It's really easily adaptable - you can sub in your favorite pureed fruit or dried fruit for the applesauce or raisins.

Apple Raisin Breakfast Barley (adapted from SparkRecipes)
Ingredients:
3 cups water
1/2 cup medium pearled barley
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup raisins
2 T brown sugar
1 T ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp almond extract
Sugar to taste

Directions:
Boil water.  Add all ingredients except for the extract.  Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.  Take off heat and stir in extract.  Add sugar to taste.  Makes 2 (huge) servings.

No comments: