Sunday, March 28, 2010

Egg Custards

I had bookmarked this recipe a while ago, and finally got around to making it.  It was so good!  And very simple to make.  Of course I jump at any chance to use freshly grated nutmeg (one of my latest obsessions).
So that's all I have to say about it!  I followed the recipe exactly - they taste great - and they're simple to make.

Recipe: Baked Vanilla Custards with Nutmeg (from Evil Shenanigans)
Ingredients:
2 eggs
1 egg yolk
1/4 cup sugar (I used ~1/2 cup sugar, I forgot about that one small change)
2 cups milk (I used whole milk)
1 tsp vanilla extract
freshly grated nutmeg

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 F and heat water in a kettle.  Whisk the eggs, vanilla and sugar in a bowl or large liquid measuring cup.  Heat the milk until it simmers (small bubbles form around the sides - don't let it boil) and remove from the heat.  While whisking constantly, add a ladle of hot milk at a time to the egg mixture, until half of the milk has been added.  Then add the rest of the milk and mix well.  Strain over another liquid measuring cup.
Place 4 6-oz ramekins into a large roasting pan.
Divide the strained mixture among the ramekins.
Pour the boiling water into the roasting pan, about 3/4 the way up the ramekins.  Bake for ~40 minutes, until the custard has set but still jiggles.
Remove from the oven and let it cool in the water bath for 30 minutes.  Remove from the water and cool it to room temperature, then chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours before serving.
Really bad lighting, but I wanted to take a picture that showed the inside of the custard.

No comments: