Sunday, March 28, 2010

Omelets for Success

This was the weekend of my awful Immunology take-home exam (3/20).  My plan was to go into the lab, study all day, and then start taking the exam in the late afternoon.  Of course I got a later start than I planned.  But I am very glad I made the time to make this omelet.  It sustained until I got back from studying/examing.
I really need to get a smaller nonstick pan.  When I bought a set of pots and pans, I got stainless steel.  I knew I would need some nonstick pans, especially for making eggs, and I got a really nice set.  But they are both pretty big - 10 and 12".  This makes it difficult to get a nice fluffy omelet.  I used 3 eggs to try to compensate, but it was still pretty thin.  That may be partly due to the fact that I added some goat cheese to the egg mixture, as well as to the filling.  I should have just stuck with adding it to the filling.
And I used some of my kerrygold salted butter to grease the pan.  It's a really thick stick of butter, and I wanted to make a nice cut so I ended up with more than I wanted.  I used about 1 tbsp to grease the pan, when 1/2 tbsp would have been plenty.

Recipe: Omelet with Sun Dried Tomatoes, Basil and Goat Cheese
Ingredients:
3 eggs (I used organic brown eggs - they have become a new favorite)
1 tbsp salted butter (you can use less)
splash of milk/cream
handful fresh basil - julienned
4 sun dried tomato halves, dry pack
few tbsp goat cheese, crumbled
freshly ground pepper

Directions:
Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat, add the butter.  While the butter is melting, beat the eggs.  Add in a splash of milk or cream, whatever you have on hand.
When the butter has melted, pour the eggs in the pan.  From time to time, tilt the pan and lift up one of the cooked edges to let some raw egg underneath.  I think it's hard to flip an omelet, especially when it is as thin as mine, so I just try to cook it all the way through.
Chop up the tomato halves and julienne the basil.  It's easy to julienne basil - stack the leaves, roll them up tightly (the long way), and then slice the roll like you're cutting up a sub.
When the eggs are mostly cooked, but still a little wet, sprinkle the tomatoes and basil on one side of it.
Crumble the goat cheese on top, and crack some fresh black pepper on it.
Fold it over and let it cook another minute or two, until it's warmed through.  Eat immediately.

On an unrelated note - the exam took me forever.  I wanted to finish it that Saturday night, but when Sunday came I still had some work to do.  I decided that there was no way I could miss an entire weekend of beautiful weather, so I worked on some of it while sitting outside on grounds.  It was a little cloudy, and I had sunscreen on my face, so I figured I would be fine.  Definitely not the case.  As you can see from the picture below, my skin is the same color as my shirt.  I still have the lines from that now, a week later.  I'm just hoping it won't peel.

No comments: