Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Surviving Passover

This is the 3rd night of Passover, and I've made it through so far!  Last night I was craving sweets and the only thing I could find that was kosher was a bag of chocolate chips.  I had to change that, so today I cooked a few things.  I made some stuff last night as well, but those were all dinner dishes.

First, I made matzah ball soup.  Unfortunately...I cheated - I bought a mix.  I added some spices to the matzah balls and cut up some carrots to put in the soup, though!  So I felt like I added a little extra to it.

Then, I made broccoli and cheese casserole.  Really easy recipe.  My mom got recipes years ago off matzah boxes, so I don't know where the credit goes.   It's probably really easily adaptable based on what veggies you have.  I would maybe mix in the broccoli with the liquid ingredients next time.

Recipe: Broccoli and Cheese Casserole
Ingredients:
2 heads broccoli florets, chopped in bite-size pieces (~4-5 cups) and parboiled for a few minutes
1 cup cottage cheese
1 cup sour cream (I used 2% greek yogurt)
4 tbsp butter, melted and cooled slightly
2 eggs
1 cup hand cracked matzah (I used farfel)
2 roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
1/2 cup grated parmesan

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.  Lightly grease a 9x5 loaf pan.  Drain the broccoli florets well, pressing out all the moisture.  Spread the florets in the pan.  Beat sour cream (or yogurt) with cottage cheese, butter, and eggs until well blended.  Fold in matzah and pour mixture over broccoli.  Arrange tomato slices on top and sprinkle with cheese.  Bake about 45 minutes then let stand about 5 minutes before serving.

So that was what I made last night.  Tonight I decided to first make something sweet.  So I used another one of those matzah box recipes.  It's a nice hearty and sweet snack.

Recipe: Raisin Walnut Pudding Cake
Ingredients:
4 matzahs, broken into small pieces
6 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup walnuts
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
4 tbsp butter, melted and cooled slightly
cinnamon sugar (optional)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325.  Soak matzah in water for 10 minutes and drain.  Add beaten eggs and let stand another 10 minutes.  Add remaining ingredients and mix well.  Pour into greased baking dish, 8x8 or 9x9.  Bake for 50-60 minutes, until set, but not dry.

This last recipe was delicious!  I searched through my bookmarked recipes to find something that was kosher for passover, but DID NOT INCLUDE MATZAH!  And I found it in this great recipe.  I think it's my new favorite way to cook potatoes.  It's a little more time consuming than a simple roasted potato or mashed potatoes.  But it's worth it, I promise!  And it really isn't bad for you at all.  Oh and added benefit - I got to use my mixer to beat the egg whites :)  I think the next time I make it I'll try experimenting with different spices and different cheeses.

Recipe: Parmesan Potato Puff (from Lisa's Kitchen)
Ingredients:
2 lbs potatoes (I used baby yukon golds)
2 tbsp butter (I used unsalted so I could adjust the salt myself)
s&p to taste
1/3-1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp paprika
2 eggs, separated
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

Directions:
Boil some lightly salted water.  Wash and peel the potatoes, cutting them into uniform pieces.  Cook until they are tender.  Drain, mash, and return to pot.  Season with s&p, and add butter and milk and mash until they are light and fluffy.

Grease a small casserole dish (I used a pie plate and it worked out perfectly).  Beat the egg yolks well.  Beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.  Stir the spices and cheese into the potatoes.  Now beat in the egg yolks.  Fold in half of the egg whites.  This helps loosen up the potatoes a bit.  Fold in the rest of the egg whites, being careful not to deflate them.  Transfer the mixture to the prepared dish.  Bake in a preheated 350 F oven for 30-40 minutes, or until the potatoes have formed a golden brown crust.

No comments: