Sunday, March 28, 2010

Pesto

Not only did I have goat cheese that needed to be used up, but I also had an entire container of basil.  This was completely an impulse buy.  I was in Whole Foods (where I always make impulse buys), and I saw a huge container of fresh basil.  I don't remember how much it was, but it wasn't a bad price.  So of course I bought it.  I've been adding some to a lot of my dishes for the past week or so, but I still had a lot left.  I'm actually surprised it lasted as long as it did.
So on Thursday, I decided to use the rest to make pesto.  This was actually the first time I had made pesto.  When I was growing up, my dad always made pesto and froze it, and we had it with pasta all the time.  It was really easy to make.  I should probably freeze some of it.  I'm considering using some while making matzah lasagna for Passover.
I realized while making this that I need to invest in a better food processor.  The only one I have is a mini one that I got for free when I opened a bank account.  It doesn't hold very much, plus it doesn't have a feed chute.

Recipe: Pesto
Ingredients:
3 cloves garlic
2 cups (packed) fresh basil, about 2-3 oz
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
s&p

Directions:
Add garlic to processor, and pulse.  Add the basil, a little at a time.  If you have a small processor like I do, add some, pulse to get it down, and then add more.  Add in the toasted pine nuts (I put them in the toaster oven), and pulse.  Add the olive oil a little at a time and pulse until smooth and at the desired consistency.  If you have a processor with a feed tube, use that.  Add s&p to taste.
It seems like some recipes say to either use it right away, freeze in ice cube trays, or add a layer of oil on top and refrigerate for up to a week.

No comments: