Friday, March 12, 2010

Snickerdoodle Heaven

I have had a very busy week/weekend!  Which is why it has taken me so long to post this recipe.  But believe me when I say that it is amazing!  To give a little background - it was my birthday last Friday, and I wanted to make something to bring into the lab/class.  I know, everyone gave me a hard time about cooking for others on my own birthday, but what can I say?  It's what I love to do.  So I of course, pull out my bookmarked recipes and start looking through them.  I figured some type of bars would be best for a lot of people, plus a lot easier than attempting to make cookies or other individual goodies.  I'm looking and looking, and not really seeing anything that caught my eye until I saw THESE Snickerdoodle Bars.  I love snickerdoodle cookies, and I love cinnamon and nutmeg, so this recipe sounded perfect.  I'm always a little nervous when I'm trying a new recipe, so I had a couple of box mixes (blasphemy, I know) ready as backups.  They were definitely not needed.  I really didn't make many changes to the recipe.  I probably used more nutmeg than it called for since I used freshly grated, and I always get a little over-excited by the fun of using a microplaner, and the smell of the fresh nutmeg.  If you don't have cinnamon chips (I have only recently been able to find them), then you could probably substitute butterscotch chips and get similar results.  Oh and I didn't have sour cream, so I used vanilla nonfat greek yogurt.  Since that was vanilla, and my white chips were vanilla flavored, I didn't add any vanilla extract.
And my two tips - be very careful not to overmix - you want these to be chewy and not cakey, and don't overcook!  It was taking a while for mine to cook, and the edges started to get really dark, while the middle was still very gooey.  I was afraid of an uncooked middle, so I probably cooked it a little longer than it needed.  I would suggest taking it out as soon as the center stops being "jiggly."  My edges did burn a little, so I cut them off before serving them to my friends.  And then when I came back on Friday (I cooked these last Thursday night), and didn't have a single one left, I started eating those burned edges and found out that they were pretty darn good!  This also means that I don't have any pictures to share - but head on over to Elyse's site and you can see her great pics!

Recipe: Snickerdoodle Bars (adapted from Belle of the Bakery)
Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp nutmeg (freshly grated is best)
1 tsp cinnamon
2 sticks butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sour cream
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup cinnamon chips
Cinnamon sugar for coating the pan and sprinkling on bars

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.  Grease 9x13 pan with butter/margarine and coat with cinnamon sugar.
Whisk the dry ingredients (this basically does the same thing as sifting).
Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy.  Beat in sour cream, then mix in eggs one at a time until just combined.  Stir in the vanilla.
Stir in dry mixture in three parts, until just incorporated.  Fold in the chips.
Spread the dough in the prepared pan (I say spread because this is very thick).  Sprinkle hte top with cinnamon sugar.
Bake ~25-30 minutes, until the edges are done and the center is just set.
Let cool!  And then slice and enjoy!

No comments: