Thursday, May 6, 2010

Sourdough starter!

I am so incredibly excited - today when I got back from hours of studying, a sourdough starter was waiting for me in my mail!  My favorite person from the children's hospital I worked at last year told her sister about my blog, and my sourdough troubles, and she sent me some of hers!  She has been making sourdough bread for the past 16 years, so she is my sourdough expert and angel.

I was sent 1/4 cup of the starter, and I added 1 1/2 cups warm water, 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour (unbleached) and 1/3 cup whole wheat flour.  I'm letting it sit in a warm place for 24 hours, and then it will live in the fridge.  There are so many things I want to make with this - I can use it in my artisan bread, I want to make pretzels, rolls, I even heard you can make chocolate cake with it!


So stay tuned - I will be having a lot of fun with it once exams are over!

Don't forget to enter my giveaway!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jen, I am so excited for you to begin this adventure!
Your blog is wonderful inspiration and I'm very happy that my sister introduced me to you. You will take our sourdough to new heights!
(I am still learning, too.) I can't wait to see your new creations!

Kate's sister Mary