Sunday, May 23, 2010

Sourdough Pancakes

Now that I have my sourdough starter, I want to do so much with it.  Last night, right before I went to bed, I decided I wanted to try sourdough pancakes.  The recipe was really simple - just proof the starter overnight, add some stuff in the morning, and voila - pancakes!
I'm going to post the recipe, even though I don't recommend it.  I think the batter way way too thin to start with.  Plus, pancake batter is supposed to be lumpy.  It was lumpy when I added the flour and water last night, but not this morning.  I think it would have been better if I only added some flour and water last night, and added the rest this morning.  So it resulted in very flat pancakes.  I started out adding some cut strawberries to each pancake, but that started to get messy.
I don't have any complaints about the flavor - it had a nice light tang.
So it wasn't a complete failure, plus using the starter and replacing some continues to activate it and preserve the "tang."

Recipe: Sourdough Pancakes
Ingredients:
1 cup sourdough starter
1cup warm water
1 cup all purpose flour
1 egg
1 tbsp oil
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda

Directions:
Mix together the starter, water and flour - loosely cover the container and let it sit in a warm place for 8-12 hours.
After the time is up, return 1 cup back to your jar of starter.
To what remains, mix in the egg, oil and sugar.
Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
When everything is ready, add the baking soda (it will foam up very quickly).
Pour about 1/4 cup batter per pancake.  Flip when it has started to bubble on top, and the edges look dry.
Eat with fresh fruit and/or syrup.

3 comments:

Momgateway said...

such an unusual pancake but I can imagine the flavors must be lovely

Anonymous said...

Yummy pancakes with sourdough!

Unknown said...

Hey Jen, look at you go! There's no stopping you now.
I told my sister you will try more sourdough recipes in a few weeks than I have tried in 16 years. I'm proud of you.

Re: pancakes, I checked my guidebook and found a recipe with similar ingredients, but the ratio of wet to dry is different. If you make them again, maybe try this:
In the morning, stir your starter, remove 1 1/2 cups for pancakes and return the rest to your jar... so you are not using the entire amount in your batter. Add another 1/3 to 1/2 cup of flour and keep other ingredients the same.

It is fun to watch you play.

Your strawberry ice cream looks heavenly!!

best wishes,
Kate's sister Mary