Saturday, May 22, 2010

Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins

This is my go-to banana bread recipe.  I love it because it uses a TON of bananas, which both helps to clear out my freezer stash, and gives it a great banana flavor.  I've made it in every size imaginable - standard muffins, mini muffins, jumbo muffins, 9x5 loaf, mini loaves...I think you get the point.  Sometimes I do it with just chocolate chips, and sometimes I do it with cinnamon and pecans.  I got it from this great cookbook called "Muffins" (very appropriate).  I've used the recipe so many times that I should know it by heart, but the book automatically flips open to it.
Oh, and the recipe claims that it makes 12 muffins, but I always fill the batter to the top, and I get at least 18 muffins every time.  This time I got 20.

Recipe: Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins (from Muffins)
Ingredients:
1/2 cup softened butter
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
5-6 ripe bananas, mashed
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips (I didn't have minis, so I used 2/3 cup regular sized chips)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray (or use liners).
In large bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar.  Add eggs and bananas; mix well.
in separate bowl, combine flour with salt, baking powder and baking soda.
Stir in creamed mixture just until moistened.  Fold in nuts and chocolate chips.
Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.  Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments: