Thursday, May 6, 2010

Homemade ginger ale

I'm not a big soda drinker.  I really dislike most coke/pepsi products.  I love having root beer or cream soda every once in a while.  And I love ginger ale.  While I was visiting my sister in New York in the winter, I discovered green tea ginger ale.  It was amazing.  And I haven't been able to find it since!  I have to say that a good substitute for it is just pure homemade ginger ale.  I might try mixing in some green tea the next time I make it - see if I can make my own!

This ginger ale was so good, and tasted just like fresh ginger.  It had a much stronger bite to it than the store-bought kind.  I used the leftover ginger to make candied ginger.  The recipe said to leave it out for a day or two, but I am unfortunately having some issues with fruit flies.  So I left it in the fridge for several days and it worked just fine.

Recipe: Homemade Ginger Ale and Candied Ginger (recipe from One Perfect Bite)
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups ginger, peeled and sliced thinly (a spoon works really well to peel)
1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
2 cups water
1 quart club soda
1 lime, sliced in wedges

Directions:
Combine ginger, 1 cup sugar and water in a saucepan.  Simmer slowly for 2 hours, until sugar is dissolved and ginger is softened.  Strain warm syrup and allow to cool.  Save the ginger pieces to make candied ginger.  To serve - take 1 part ginger syrup and 3 parts club soda, and squeeze some lime juice in the glass.
For the candied ginger - line a cookie sheet with wax/parchment paper.  Place a cooling rack on top.  Toss the ginger with 1/2 cup sugar and dry on rack for 1-2 days.  (Can do this in the fridge if necessary, but it will take longer.)  Store in an airtight container.

Don't forget about my giveaway!

1 comment:

Maire said...

dear Jen, I've been dreaming about home-made ginger ale since my sister told me about your blog. Today I made my own! It tasted Great!! Ginger ale is my favorite since childhood but it's been many, many years since I've been able to indulge (since all the ready-made sodas have ingredients that provoke allergy for me). Thank you so much for finding and sharing Mary's recipe. You all have made me very happy. I drank two glasses already, need to save some for later in the week. The refreshing ginger taste is much better than I remembered.

Thank You!
Kate's sister Mary

p.s.
Our kitchen smells lovely now, as if sugar plum fairies have been dancing around in there.