Thursday, May 6, 2010

The perfect spring-like salad

I went to the farmers market last Saturday, and was very excited to see strawberries!  I bought strawberries and fresh spinach.  There was some asparagus, but it was a bit expensive.  I can't wait until there are more veggies though.
I remembered there was a salad my mom had made when I was a kid, that had strawberries and spinach and a sweet dressing.  I got the recipe from her, and realized that I didn't have all of the ingredients.  I made it anyway, and it was so good.  I didn't have the worcestershire, sesame seeds, or poppy seeds, and I used all red wine vinegar with a splash of balsamic.  I used a small glass jar to mix the dressing - it was easy to shake it all up, and it stores it well.  The dressing is so pretty!  It's pink, and kind of sparkly because of the sugar and oil.  I remember that with the missing ingredients, it is even better.  Oh and I used half the sugar - I thought it was sweet enough as is.

Recipe: Strawberry and Spinach Salad
Ingredients:
1/2 cup sugar (I used 1/4 cup)
1/4 cup vinegar (red wine and/or balsamic)
1/2 cup oil (a neutral oil, like canola or vegetable)
1 tbsp poppy seeds
2 tbsp sesame seeds
1/2 tsp worcestershire

1 bag spinach
2 pints strawberries, sliced

Directions:
Mix everything except for the spinach and strawberries, it works well in a glass jar.  Toss the spinach and strawberries with the dressing and serve.


Don't forget to enter my giveaway!

No comments: