Friday, February 5, 2010

Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos

This is one of my first successful recipes, back in undergrad. I try to make these burritos every winter now, and freeze them so I can have a quick lunch or dinner. I usually try to double or quadruple the recipe so I can have a lot stocked up in the freezer. This time I must have used much smaller tortillas since I had a TON of the filling leftover. Not to worry - I used it as a dip and ate it with endive leaves.
The flavor combination sounds a little strange, but I promise - it's so good! When I freeze them, I take them out individually and either cook it in the oven for 30-40 minutes, or thaw it in the fridge and give it a quick toast.

Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos: (adapted from SparkPeople)
Ingredients:
Half a large sweet potato
Olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
Half an onion, diced
1 tsp cumin
hot pepper flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup black beans (drained and rinsed if from a can)
2 wedges light garlic & herb laughing cow cheese
2 tortillas


Directions:
Bake or boil the sweet potato in its skin until soft. While doing this, heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the onion and spices - cook until the onion is translucent.
When the sweet potatoes are cooked, let cool slightly and then remove from peel and mash.
Add black beans and cheese to the onion mixture - mash until creamy.
To assemble: heat tortilla between two paper towels for 20 seconds. Spread some of the sweet potato on, and then add some of the bean mixture. Try to add it in a line down the center. Don't over-fill or it won't close!
To fold: Fold in the two edges perpendicular to the line you created. Then roll in the other direction. I'm sorry if this is hard to understand - I'll try to put up pictures diagraming this at some point. At this point, either put it in the oven to reheat and toast, or roll them up in foil and stick in the freezer. Make sure you wrap them really well and put in a freezer bag.

No comments: