Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Perfect Sandwich

I have made the perfect (winter) sandwich for my tomato bread!  I will probably make another version in the summer when better fresh ingredients are available, but I thought this was pretty delicious.  When I first made the bread, I attempted to make a sandwich with it, but I think I added too much to the filling and it overshadowed the flavor of this great bread.  One of my friends suggested basil and mozzarella, to make a caprese-esque sandwich - I think this will be my summer version.  After thinking about it for a bit, I thought of a perfect combination of flavors that is simple enough to let the bread shine through, but still tastes great!  But regardless of what I put on this bread, I still get strange glances and questions about "why is your bread orange?"  That's a price I'm willing to pay.
I think that toasting this sandwich is a must - the bread will be slightly crisp and warm, and the filling is still slightly cool and refreshing.

Sun Dried Tomato Bread Winter Sandwich
Ingredients:
2 slices Sun Dried Tomato Bread
1 wedge light garlic & herb laughing cow cheese
1 cube frozen chopped basil (equivalent of 1 tsp)
Spinach leaves
Roasted yellow bell pepper slices

Directions:
Heat up the laughing cow cheese and the basil, just until the frozen basil has thawed enough to be mashed into the cheese.  Mix them together to form a spread.
If your roasted pepper is from a jar, give it a quick rinse off and pat dry.
Spread the cheese mixture onto one of the slices, top with spinach leaves, then the pepper.  Add the other slice, and toast until the bread is just starting to turn golden brown.
Enjoy!

No comments: