Friday, February 5, 2010

Snow and Sweet Potatoes

It has been snowing ALL day long. I somehow woke up at 8 am (even though it's a snow day) and it was already snowing then. When I moved to Charlottesville, I figured I would be safe from the snow. Definitely not the case. At least not this year. But that's okay - as long as I don't need to go anywhere, I am completely content. I've been sitting in my pjs all day, watching tv. By the time dinnertime came around, I figured I should do something productive. I have a lot of cooked sweet potato leftover from my burritos the other day, so I really wanted to use that up. Of course, I didn't find anything dinner-related to make with it. But I did decide to make a sweet potato casserole. While this was cooking, I made a frozen Indian dinner from Trader Joe's with some naan - delicious.

I can't wait until Charlottesville gets a Trader Joe's! I heard it's still a few years away though...
But back to the recipe - it's another weird flavor combination using sweet potatoes. If you don't like sweet potatoes, you won't like this recipe! And another warning - it is much better at room temperature. I tried some right when it came out of the oven and wasn't impressed. But after an hour or two, it's much better! So this isn't one of the best things I've ever made. But I think it was a good use of leftovers.


Sweet Potato and Banana Casserole:
Ingredients:
1 MASSIVE sweet potato, cooked and mashed (about 1 1/2 - 2 cups)
2 medium-large bananas, mashed
2 eggs
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup skim milk
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 inch piece of ginger - grated
Cinnamon sugar
1/4 cup raisins

Directions:
Pretty simple - mix all of the ingredients together from the sweet potato to the ginger. Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease an 8x8 glass baking dish. Pour the mixture into the dish. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and the raisins. Cook for about 30 minutes, until set. Let cool before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.

* Update: After refrigerating overnight, it is delicious! This should definitely be served cold.

No comments: