Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Snow and Frustration

Last night I decided to go to the grocery store. We're supposed to get around 5 inches of snow between today and tomorrow, and since that could completely incapacitate Charlottesville, I wanted to be prepared. Now, first, I had to extract my car from the snow. Not such an easy task. The snow the previous weekend was pretty easy to clear off - it was light and fluffy. This snow was waterlogged, heavy and full of ice chunks. Let's just say that my attempt to kick it away with my rainboots was not so successful. I got lucky though - a ton of people were out doing the same thing I was, but with actual tools - shovels. Some nice kid let me borrow a shovel, and then when saw my pitiful progress 15 minutes later, just came over and shoveled me out himself! And then helped me navigate to back out. So I'm finally out, I get to the store, buy my stuff, etc... I figured that my spot or someone else's spot would be open when I got back because I was gone for such a short time. I was in the mood to make some homemade macaroni and cheese so I bought some necessary ingredients - sharp white cheddar, whole milk, pasta shells (I prefer these over elbows). I pull into the lot, and see my spot as well as a bunch of other spots open. I go to pull back into my original spot. And my car wouldn't accept it. I spent a good 20 minutes trying to get into every spot that was open. Even the spot of the kid who helped me get my car out. Finally, I pulled all the way to the end of the lot, and took a spot on the very end. Even that took about 5 tries to pull into, and I'm still afraid I damaged the bottom of my car. After all of this, I come inside, put my groceries away...and am so frustrated that I just can't pull myself together to make my mac n' cheese. But that's okay. Now I have the rest of the day to find the best recipe. I will be posting my results (as long as some other frustration doesn't prevent me from cooking).

No comments: