Friday, April 8, 2011

Stove-top popcorn

I decided I wanted to try to make popcorn the old-fashioned way.  I told my mom I was making homemade popcorn, and she looked at me like I was crazy.  I was basically making it the way she grew up making it.  But anyway, this is so easy to make.  It involves a little more time and cleanup than the microwave bag, but it's a lot cheaper and it tastes better.  And you can control how much salt/butter you are adding, and you can add some other flavors as well.

Recipe: Stove-top popcorn
Ingredients:
3 tbsp neutral-flavored oil (like canola)
1/2 cup popcorn kernels
salt to taste
melted butter, if desired

Directions:
Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat.  Add 1 kernel to hot oil.  When the kernel pops, add the rest of the kernels and shake so they are all covered in oil, and in a single layer.  Put the lid on the pot, and shake the pot, keeping it in contact with the stove burner.  When the popping slows down to about 10 seconds between pops, take off the heat.  Add salt, melted butter, and whatever flavorings you desire, put the lid back on, and shake it up.  Then it's ready to eat!

Everything is better with cider :)

No comments: