Friday, June 25, 2010

Revisiting Old Favorites

In the past week or two I've remade some of my favorite recipes.  Three, to be exact (besides the ones I already mentioned).  One turned out great, as usual.  One turned out a little different, but still good.  And one just didn't turn out the way I wanted it to.

First - the cinnamon chip banana coffee cake.  I gave the recipe to my mom, and it's one of her favorite things to make.  Of course she always has me make it for her when I come home.  It turned out really well this time.  And unlike last time, I took pictures!  Doesn't it look yummy?



When my parents came in to help me move, I decided to make the flourless chocolate cake from Passover, for both of their birthdays.  It was good, but I made the mistake of overbeating the eggs.  This resulted in a meringue-like top, instead of a brownie-like top.  So if you are going to make this recipe, DON'T overbeat the eggs!  Once they start to increase in volume, stop!

For my mom's surprise party, I decided to make Ina's Outrageous Brownies in addition to the dozens of cookies.  I'm glad I had the cookies, since the brownies were a bit of a disappointment.  I made them exactly the same way I did before (at least I think I did), but this time they ended up really crumbly.  They still got the shiny flaky crust, so I thought I was in the clear.  I honestly don't know what happened.  This just means I'll have to make them again!

No comments: