Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Bread in 5 Minutes a Day

Now that I have a working sourdough starter, I want to do a lot with it.  I decided to try using it with the ABi5 dough.  Of course I made this a while ago, and I don't remember exactly how much starter I used.  I know that I calculated everything by weight - the recipe is given in cups, but they include how much flour usually weighs and I calculated the weight based on that.  And I took the amount of sourdough starter I used and subtracted half of that from each the water and flour weight totals.  I used the whole wheat starter and the equivalent of 1 cup of rye flour, the rest was AP unbleached.  Of course I meant to make several loaves from the bucket of dough, but only managed to use it once.  I now have it sitting in my fridge and really should dump it out.
The dough was really hard to work with!  I don't know if I didn't measure right, but it was extremely liquid-y.  To the point where when I grabbed a handful to make a loaf, half of it stuck to my hands and any surface I put the dough on.  The loaf also didn't rise very much in the oven.  But I have to say, the flavor was pretty good.  I was busy so I sliced and froze the whole loaf right away, and I've only had a few slices from it.  I'll have to try it again once I have more time.  I am borrowing the book from the library, and I'm probably going to buy it soon.

No comments: