Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Long absence + frustration

I can't believe it's been 2 months since I've posted anything.  My absence has been because of a few reasons, and the biggest was because I was without my laptop for almost 5 weeks.  One day at the end of August, Safari was acting a little strange so I restarted my computer (always my default move if something isn't right), and it wouldn't start up.  I ended up taking it to an Apple authorized repair shop (the one good thing was that it's only 1 mile away), and was then without a computer for the next 4.5 weeks.  They had to replace the battery, the top case, the bottom case, and worst of all - my hard drive.  The computer was gone so long because of the slow data recovery process.  That was the only part I had to pay for, since my computer is still under warranty, but it was worth it.  I would have cried if I had lost all of my pictures, music, and files.  So I wasn't able to post anything because of first, the obvious reason of not having my computer, but also, because I didn't have the pictures of anything I had made recently.  I'm still not sure if they recovered all of my pictures.  Every picture on my computer was put in one big dump folder, with many many duplicates, and a ton of junk images.  It all added up to 65,000 - how crazy is that?

So now I've had my computer back for 2 weeks, but why haven't I posted anything yet?  I think I've just been frustrated lately.  Frustrated that I'm not really losing weight, even though I've been trying for the past two months.  Frustrated that I've been so lazy lately - both in lab and at home.  And I'm sick of being frustrated.  This morning I went on my first run in 2 weeks and it felt great!  (Actually, now that I think of it, I haven't mentioned running at all before.  That's because I started running the same week I lost my computer.  I was really good for the first month, and then started slacking the last few weeks or so.)  I signed up for my very first 5k (not counting my pitiful attempt at cross country when I was 15 - wow, almost 10 years ago!) for this Saturday and I'm excited.  And nervous!  I knew that I really needed to get back into my exercise routine, but that I needed to be careful.  I really don't want to be crazy sore before I even start the race.  If I had been running consistently the past month, this goal might be different, but right now I'm hoping to finish under 40 minutes.  I am NOT a runner by any means, so to do a race at all is a pretty big deal for me.  I'm definitely going to have to walk for part of it.  But one of my good friends is running (/walking) with me, so it should be fun!  And of course it's for a good cause.

Now I just need to post everything I've made in the past two months.  Actually, more than two months.  I was already behind when my hard drive died.  I think I documented all of the recipes, and hopefully I'll remember any changes I made to them.  Unfortunately, there was one recipe that I made up that was not recovered on my computer.  I'll do my best to remember what I put in it.

So be on the look-out for some new posts with lots of yummy food!  I'm hoping that posting again and exercising will keep some of my frustration at bay.

3 comments:

j. said...

OMG, I didn't realize that happened to your laptop. Hope things work out!

workouteatin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
workouteatin said...

Thanks Jon! I'm just grateful that I got the computer back and most of my data was recovered.
And thanks for all of your sweet comments :)