Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A birthday galette

For a friend's birthday last month, I decided to make one of her favorite desserts.  In July of 09, I made a peach and blueberry galette that she practically swooned over.  I knew this would be the perfect thing to make for her.   I think the best part about this recipe is the crust.  It's so flavorful and has great texture.  My only issue - the filling always leaks out!  I've made this three times now, and it has happened every time.  I keep on saying that next time I'll bake it in a pie plate, so any leakage will stay in the dish.  Maybe next time I'll actually do this.
This time I did half blueberries and half raspberries - I used berries I had picked and frozen, and didn't thaw before using.  The second time I made this I used apples and fresh cranberries.  You can really use any fruit, so it's adaptable to any season.  Make this pie!

Recipe: Peach and Blueberry Galette (from Food Blogga)
Ingredients:
Crust:
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup coarse cornmeal
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
1/3 cup low fat buttermilk

Filling:
2 1/2 cups blueberries
3 cups thinly sliced peaches (don't need to peel)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp minced ginger
4 tbsp cornstarch

1 egg white
2 tbsp milk
1 tbsp raw sugar

Directions:
For the crust: combine flour, sugar, cornmeal and salt in a food processor and pulse a few times.  Add the butter and pulse until it resembles coarse meal and the butter is in pea sized bits.  With the processor running, slowly pour the buttermilk through the chute.  Process until the dough forms a ball.  Dump the dough onto a piece of plastic wrap, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350 F.
For the filling, toss all ingredients in a large bowl and make sure the cornmeal coats the fruit well.
Take the dough out of the fridge, and put on a lightly floured piece of parchment paper.  Roll the dough out to a 14-15 inch wide circle.  Put the dough, with the parchment paper, on a baking sheet.
Spread the fruit on the dough, leaving a 2-inch border.  Fold the border over the filling, overlapping as you fold.
Mix the egg white and milk, and brush on top of the crust.  Sprinkle the raw sugar over the crust and filling.


Bake for ~1 hour, or until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbling.
Cool for at least 20 minutes, and then enjoy!
See - filling all over the place!


Delicious, flaky crust

No comments: