Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Baby Shower!

My friend Sarah and I threw a baby shower for one of our friends.  She hosted it, so I said I would make the cupcakes.  Of course, at this point, I had never made (from scratch) cupcakes before.  This may be a little confusing since I recently posted a cupcake recipe.  This is why I wanted to post things in order!
But anyway, I had only made muffins, so I had to search for a really good cupcake recipe.  I found a delicious sounding recipe for Vanilla Bean Cupcakes with Vanilla Bean Frosting, and decided to go with that.  The end result was really good.  I used green food coloring for the frosting, since my friend is using a green theme for her baby boy.
After they baked, I was a little concerned.  The tops of the cupcakes started to get crusty and caramelized, and tunnel-like holes formed.  The inside was still pretty gooey.  I didn't want them to get too dry, so I took them out while still a little wet.  I figured that any imperfections could be covered by the frosting.  They still tasted great!

Recipe:
Vanilla Bean Cupcakes with Vanilla Bean Frosting (from How Sweet It Is)
Ingredients:
Cupcakes:
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 vanilla bean
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk

Frosting:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 lb powdered sugar
2 tbsp milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 vanilla bean

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 F.
For cupcakes: cream butter and sugar together until fluffy.  Beat in eggs, one at a time.  Add in vanilla and vanilla seeds.  Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.  Fold in half the dry ingredients to the wet, just until combined.  Mix in the milk, then add in the other half of the dry ingredients.  Pour into cupcake tins (line with paper liners, if desired), and bake for 20-25 minutes.  Let cool.

For frosting: beat butter until smooth.  Add in powdered sugar and beat until fluffy.  Gradually add milk, vanilla and vanilla beans, until at desired consistency.  Pipe onto cooled cupcakes.

No comments: