Monday, January 10, 2011

Quirks

Just some weird things I've been thinking about lately.
For example - why in the world would anyone advertise aged cheese as "old cheddar?"  I have actually seen one brand in the grocery store call it "really old cheddar."  No kidding.  I'm going to have to take a picture of it if I ever see it again.
Also, I am a major hypocrite when it comes to choosing recipes from blogs.  I'm a major photo snob.  I will often veto recipes when they don't have stellar pictures.  Umm, has anybody noticed my pictures?  Let's just say it's usually a combination of bad lighting, poor focus, and a big mess in the background.  If I came across my own blog, I probably wouldn't make any of my recipes.
I also veto any recipe that has a component I'm not a fan of, even if it's something I could probably easily change.  Like bacon - for some reason that's been a huge craze lately, and since I don't eat meat, I definitely won't be sexing up my food with bacon.  I'm sure it would be pretty simple to just remove that crumbled slice of bacon from the recipe, but I just skip it.  And with recipes including apples - let's just start off by saying that I love apples.  I love them raw, mashed in sauce, apple cider, in pies, etc.  But when it comes to oatmeal or bread, I refuse to eat apple chunks.  I think it's a texture thing.  So of course, it would also be simple to just change the recipe so it includes shredded apples instead of diced, but I prefer to use recipes where that change has already been made.
So I admit it - I am a judgy*, hypocritical blogger.  Who finds old cheese humorous.  And I have all kinds of other quirks that I'm just mentioning right now, food related and otherwise.

* I don't know if I had ever heard this word (at least not in this form) before hearing it about 10 times per episode of The Vampire Diaries.  Are you judging me for watching the show?  Then that makes you judgy too :)

1 comment:

Mary Bergfeld said...

We're all entitled to our quirks. Yours actually don't sound bad to me. Tell your critics to deal with it. Have a great weekend. Blessings...Mary