Monday, January 10, 2011

Pumpkin Oatmeal

It is definitely going to be difficult to catch up!  I was behind already, back in October.  I guess it's good timing though, because the start of the semester probably means I won't be able to cook as frequently, so it's a good thing I have a big stockpile of things to post about.

Since I just made this for breakfast this morning, I figure it's a good place to start.  I went through countless cans of pumpkin this fall (btw, so happy it made an appearance on shelves this year!) making this oatmeal.  It's really the simplest oatmeal in the world to make, and this is a great base recipe (minus the pumpkin) to add whatever you have on hand - bananas, raisins, nuts, etc.

This isn't really a true "recipe" - all you do is take 1 part quick oats to 2 parts water or milk.  I like using almond milk, it gives it a nice creamy texture.  1/2 cup oats will give a really big bowl of oatmeal.  Mix the oats and water/milk together with a pinch of salt.  Microwave 2-4 minutes at 45-60 second intervals.  KEEP AN EYE ON IT!  Oatmeal has the tendency to bubble over very quickly.  Once it has cooked, add in 2-3 tbsp of canned pumpkin, sugar to taste, and a few shakes of cinnamon and nutmeg.  I can't really take credit for inventing an actual recipe, since the main portion came off the canister of oatmeal.  But you should definitely try this - it is yummy, and has a ton of protein and fiber.

No comments: