Saturday, April 24, 2010

Amish Friendship Bread with Bananas

Finally - after millions of pictures of my growing starters, an actual recipe!  I did it backwards.  My plan had been to make the basic recipe first, and then try the variations.  But when you have at least 10 bananas taking up space in your freezer, it becomes necessary to use them up.  Good thing one of the recipes I found was a banana bread version of the bread!  It was really delicious.  The recipe said that it makes 2 loaves - I definitely didn't have enough batter for that.  I got one kind of short loaf + 9 muffins.  Although that may have been my fault.  I got really caught up with exams, and then I was sick, so on day 10 of the cycle I put the starter in the fridge and just left it there for a week.  The night before I was planning on baking with it I took it out of the fridge, and then I fed it a little to perk it up, the morning before baking.  All of the recipes usually say to bake right after feeding it on day 10.  So maybe if you do that, then you'll have enough for 2 full loaves?  But regardless of that, I had a lot of delicious banana bread to eat.

Recipe: Banana Amish Friendship Bread (adapted from Moms Who Think)
Ingredients:
1 cup starter
1/3 cup oil
3 very ripe bananas, mashed
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 F.  Grease two loaf pans (or one loaf pan + one muffin tin) with butter, and then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
Mix together all wet ingredients.  Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined.  Pour in prepared pans.
Bake for 45-60 minutes.  The muffins take a lot less time, so keep an eye on them.  They're done when they still look a little gooey in the center - it finishes cooking when you take it out.  Let sit in the pans to cool, then let it cool completely on a cooling rack.

No comments: