Saturday, April 24, 2010

Original Amish Friendship Bread

I did a lot of searching to find some Amish Friendship Bread recipes.  I figured that if I would potentially be baking every 10 days, I would need some variation!  A lot of the recipes called for a box of pudding mix.  At first I tried to avoid these recipes.  But I figured, if so many recipes included it, it couldn't be a bad thing.  So I specifically bought a large box of vanilla pudding mix to make this recipe.  It appears to be a very common recipe - found in many places.  The pudding mix made the batter really thick.  I thought that this would make a dense bread, but it was actually very light, almost cake-like.  I again had the issue of not having enough batter for 2 whole loaves of bread.  I made 2 mini loaves (which usually add up to one loaf, at most) and then only had enough left for 10 muffins.  And again, this could be my fault.  I used the starter one day after I fed it on Day 10.  I used about 1 1/4-1 1/2 cups of the starter to try to make up for that.  One of these days I will actually cook with the starter when I'm supposed to.  But anyway, this was delicious!  I'm excited to try it with different pudding flavors.

Recipe: Amish Friendship Bread with Pudding Mix
Ingredients:
1 cup starter (I used a little more)
1 cup oil
3 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 large box of instant vanilla pudding mix
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 F.  Grease desired pans and then sprinkle with sugar or cinnamon sugar.
Mix all ingredients well, and pour into prepared pans.
Bake for 1 hour (if making full sized loaves, otherwise check frequently starting at 15-20 minutes).  Make sure it is still moist when you take it out of the oven.  Let cool, then take out of pans and let cool completely on cooling rack.

No comments: